Now in its thirty-fourth year of publication
December 2017 issue highlights FRONTCOVER: Front cover: Dave Garwood flies the new Magnum Models DAW 1-26over a low sand dune at Cape Cod Bay. Dave's "build-n-fly" reviewbegins on page 5 of this issue.
Photo by Jan Carstanjen of Brewster, Massachusetts.
iPhone 6s, ISO 25, 1/2650 sec., f2.2
| || |
If you'd like to support RC Soaring Digest, please consider making a donation.
| • Review - DAW 1-26 - Dave Garwood builds and flies the recently reintroduced classic slope soarer now kitted by Magnum Models. |
• Photo Album - GPS-Triangle World Masters 2017 - Photographs by Gerd Holzner.
• Flutter - Chuck Anderson tackles this aero-mechanical phenomenon and provides a few potential solutions.
• Thermal Training Notes -Through text and numerous sketches Marcus Stent explains the dynamics of thermals and how to exploit the capabilities of your soaring machine.
• Slopers in the mists - Flying visible airflows at Timberwolf Mountain, Washington. Philip Randolph.
Ralph Barnaby and the Prüfling Secondary Glider - Ralph Barnaby's role in popularizing gliding in the United States, featuring text excerpts and photos from Barnaby's “Gliders and Gliding.” By Simine Short of the Vintage Sailplane Association.
• No engine landing in a Piper Cub, literally! - Robin Reid relates his experiences flying a restored TG-8 (and TaylorcraftTG-6). Reprinted from Bungee Cord, the journal of the Vintage Sailplane Association, with additional photos courtesy of Simine Short.
• How to achieve a straight square edge - Scott Keller describes a simple DIY shop tool.
• Restoring a 1975 Hobie Hawk - Paul Naton of Radio Carbon Art had wanted a Hobie Hawk since 1975... ...and now he has one! This is Part 1 of a series.
• Brian Austin's Watts New Mk2 - Looking for a wood F5J machine to compete with the moulded ’ships? This 3.8m span machine may be it! Full size plans available from the designer.
• Slope Soaring Candidate - Sukhoi T-50 / Su-57 - Russia's fifth generation fighter.
• NACA P-51B drag studies, 1945 - Excerpts from National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics Wartime Report ACR No.4K02 with additional photos from the NASA archives.
• Solstice Flight - Paul Naton describes his longest-day-of-the-year flight with his F5J Euphoria V2.
PLUS SIX ADDITIONAL PHOTOS AND ARTICLES!
You can download the entire December issue of RC Soaring Digest (102 pages) by following one of these links:
We highly recommend RCSDPDF files be downloaded to your computer hard drive where they canbe opened with Acrobat Reader 5 or higher. Viewing the PDF within a webbrowser via a plug-in is not reliable.
You can be automatically notified when the next issue of RCSDis posted by becoming a member of the RCSoaringDigestYahoo! group.
|RC Soaring Digest Homepage|